Sunday 1 January 2023

Why I Suck... Series 4! The Plan....

 So, Year One (2020) of this project was all about delving deep into the “back story” of the electric guitar, looking at the playing of the blues greats.. then in 2021 I cast the net a little wider, encompassing one of my personal heroes in Neil Zaza, YouTube stars Sophie Lloyd and Andertons' Danish Pete, and last year focused on some of the top-flight greats responsible for the tracks I've been learning for my next performance diploma. So as to where to go from there? Well, I figured I'd ask you lot!


So with the votes counted and combining your suggestions with my own ideas and a few familiar faces, here's the plan for 2023!

January – Eddie Van Halen.

February – Mark Tremonti

March – Rory Gallagher

April – Eric Clapton (post Cream)

May – Brad Paisley

June – SRV (finish Couldn't Stand The Weather)

July – Hendrix (Axis: Bold As Love)

August – Buckethead (should be interesting!)

September – John Mayer

October – Angus Young

November – Zakk Wylde

December – Dave Gilmour

So there we go, should be fun! A few names there I know shamefully little about (John Mayer, Mark Tremonti) a possibly certifiable shred demon (Buckethead), the guy who first dropped my jaw and showed me there was more to the guitar than Nirvana and Oasis riffs (Rory Gallagher) as well as a few returning names and some of my all time heroes. Very much a classic rock focus on this year's list then, but I always relish a little Nashville twang and Brad Paisley should provide that in spades!

As always, you can find all the accompanying videos in the Style Analysis section of the YouTube channel - don't forget to Like, Share & Subscribe (even if I frequently forget to mention it in the videos themselves...)... I'm planning some new stuff for the channel too, currently I'm learning my way around GIMP and Da Vinci Resolve in the hope of sprucing up my video skills. In fact, I don't plan to be doing much recording this year, #TUNEICEF aside, because of that, and there's a new book that may be in the offing towards the end of the year if the wind is with me... meantime you can find Two Pint Solos (and it's FREE backing track companion here, and 2022's Heartbreak For Dummies here.

So that's me sorted – what are your playing goals for 2023? Although the way this decade has played out so far I think we can expect an alien invasion some time around March... still, fingers crossed! I'm off to blow the dust off the Les Paul s there's a certain top hatted individual awaiting a style analysis... Happy New Year all!

No comments:

Post a Comment